How I managed to get over very painful hemorrhoids

By Elizabeth rated 8.6 out of 10, viewed 32463 times
In categories: Hemorrhoids; Piles;
I had a baby last year and since then have been prone to hemorrhoids from time to time. These have usually been manageable and have flared up, but then gone over time.

However, recently I had a very bad episode, which nearly resulted in disaster on my wedding day! I went on a big night out, and the next day woke up with a terrible, large external haemorrhoid which was extremely painful. I was so distraught, it was so painful, there was no getting away from the pain and so I went to the doctor.

Immediately I was sent to the hospital, saw a consultant, who said it was possibly thrombosed and needed to be dealt with as soon as possible. There was talk of invasive surgery, with all the associated possible problems, and I was really worried that it might cause more problems than it solved. This is especially because it’s such a sensitive area, and is always moving and contracting.

I got a second opinion from another consultant, who agreed, but as my wedding was only days away I was really reluctant to go through a procedure that could cause even more short term pain, may not work, and may have ruined my big day!

I saw a third consultant, who gave me some brilliant, simple advice that amazingly enough worked really well. Basically the idea is to reduce the swelling that causes the pile and push the vein back into the rectum.

• Firstly I rubbed some anaesthetic gel (instillagel) on the external area, which numbed the area and soothed the pain
• Then I wrapped three or four ice cubes in a tea towel, pressed it onto the area for up to two hours, changing the ice as required. The area becomes completely numb, I applied more gel, then pushed the pile back inside the rectum, holding it in for a few minutes
• Then I tried to sleep through the night on my side

I did this a few times a day, for a few days. This succeeded in reducing the swelling greatly, which ended the pain I was in, and allowed the body to naturally heal itself.

I am so glad that I tried this before having surgery, as it has solved the problem. There’s still a small pile but it is far better and it was really quite severe at its worst.

I told my GP, who didn’t know about this treatment. She has since recommended it to several of her patients, who have also had good results.

Rate this Story

Related Websites
There are no related websites for this story.
If you would like to suggest one, please write to us

Comments
By Shoot, so that's that one spupoess., 13-Jan-2012 20:13
Shoot, so that's that one spupoess.
By Hannah, 25-Aug-2013 06:15
Thank you so so much, I am going through the exact same worry with my wedding being only days away and having just seen a Doctor who said surgery was required. I also have been prescribed Instillagel and some Proctosedyl ointment - I am taking your advise and will stop worrying myself about it. Thank you for such a helpful post.
By Emily, 27-May-2014 05:22
GP has just prescribed this exact regime for me, am hopeful it will work!
By Karen, 24-Jan-2015 21:49
I'm going thruw the same thing but nothing works
By Carly, 31-Aug-2015 22:26
I push it in and before I even leave the bathroom its back... I have done this several times a day for the past week and now it's so raw... I'm in so much pain and 34 weeks pregnant. I'm terrified
By Would you happen to have any falmiy photo's that w, 17-Oct-2015 14:06
Would you happen to have any falmiy photo's that were taken in Sterling that you would be willing to share? I live in Sterling and am interested in the history. Any photo's that also include buildings are of interest.I remember your Aunt Francis and Uncle Dugan and Butch, they lived down the road from me when I was growing up.
By Would you happen to have any famliy photo's that w, 19-Oct-2015 19:25
Would you happen to have any famliy photo's that were taken in Sterling that you would be willing to share? I live in Sterling and am interested in the history. Any photo's that also include buildings are of interest.I remember your Aunt Francis and Uncle Dugan and Butch, they lived down the road from me when I was growing up.
By some nationalities wont be able to get rid of the , 23-Dec-2015 12:45
some nationalities wont be able to get rid of the bags they are just snmtehiog you have. my hubby is cajun and he has dark dark ark circles and every one in his family does to the point where he is always getting asked if he got a black eyes. I on the other hand get them once in a while when i do not sleep enough and if I put hemroid cream in small amounts under my eyes over night then wipe it away in the morning and it helps.
By I had a rather hard time chionosg just one type of, 30-Dec-2015 06:30
I had a rather hard time chionosg just one type of physician I would want to work for. So many of them fascinate me, and with me not really going into any medical field other than support, I never gave this any thought in the past. After reading the list, I am more favorable of working for a neonatologist. It is difficult to think about how neonatologist physicians sometimes have the most difficult job in the world, but I can only imagine how amazing it would be to be a part of saving a baby’s life. I had a coworker once whose baby was born at 36 weeks, and her baby had a lot of heart and lung problems. There were concerns about whether or not they would ever fully develop once she had him, but after many months in the NICU, and many scares that happened during it, the doctors were able to save him and he is now a very healthy 5 year old. It is because of that I have a higher interest in the neonatologist field.I hate to say which type of physician I would care less to work for, and it is because I worry that many will take it the wrong way. When I was 16, I used to help my mom at an assisted living home as a caregiver. We would get to work at 7:00 A.M. every morning to prepare breakfast for four of the elderly men and women that we were caring for. We would then make sure that all bedding was changed, rooms were cleaned, meals were prepared, and appointments were handled. We worked 12 hour days, and they were always grueling. The owner of the home made sure that everyone had their medicine and made it to their doctor appointments on time. However, she was more worried about getting paid for her services than actually helping the elderly. She would yell at them if they did something wrong, and even call them terrible names. My mom reported her and we both quit our job, but it has always left a sting in my heart since then. It is because of my experience with that situation that I do not think I could ever work for a gerontologist. I know that the situations would be
Make a Comment:
Comment By:
Comment:

This recovery story is in categories: Hemorrhoids, Piles